Omaha Poker is a form of online Poker exploding in popularity. Similar to Texas Hold’em, players are dealt pocket cards face down, and must then make the best possible poker hand using community cards (on the table) and the pocket cards in their hand.
The major difference between the two games is that in Omaha you are dealt 4 cards as opposed to the two that you get in Texas Hold’em. You do not use all 4 of the cards dealt to you however. You must use only two of the four cards dealt in order to make your best possible 5 card hand.
- Blind Pay - At the beginning of each hand, 2 blinds are placed (exactly like Texas Hold’em) which are preliminary bets designed to encourage action. The blinds are placed (the small blind and the big blind) by the 2 players directly to the left of the dealer.
- The dealing of the initial cards: 4 pocket cards (only seen by each individual player) are dealt, face-down.
- First Round of Betting - Before the flop is dealt the first round of betting begins based on the strength of the original 4 cards dealt. Betting begins with the player to the immediate right of the big blind and ends with the big blind.
- Dealing of the flop - After the first round of betting has been completed; 3 cards are dealt face up in the middle of the table. These cards are known as community cards as they can be used by all players.
- Second Round of Betting - Betting now begins with the player directly to the right of the dealer and continues around the table.
- Dealing of the turn - A fourth community card is placed on the table face up.
- Third Round of Betting - In a no-limit or pot-limit game the betting rounds continue in the same way as the first and second. In a limit game betting is now raised to the higher stake amount. For instance betting increments would be $20 in a $20/$40 limit game.
- Dealing of the River - The fifth and final community card is dealt face up on the table.
- Fourth and Final Betting Round - Players make their final bets based upon the strength of their hand.
- Showdown - Players showdown their cards to determine the winner of the hand. The player showing their cards first is the last player in the hand to have made a bet or raise.
- Awarding of the Pot -The player who has made the strongest 5 card hand out of the 9 (4 hole cards and 5 community cards) is awarded the pot.