As in a regular game of 7 Card Stud, the Hi winner has the best poker hand - there is always a Hi winner. In 7 Card Stud Hi/Lo however, there is an additional Low winner. The Low winner must have 5 different cards all below 9. For example, if between your 2 pocket and 3 community cards you had a hand consisting of a 2, 3, 5, 7 and 8 of mixed suits; you would have a Low hand.
The primary differences between 7 Card Stud Hi/Lo and Texas Hold’em are that there can be multiple winners each player plays their own individual hand and there are no “community cards” in this game.
Stud games at Americas Cardroom can be played with up to eight players. Since a deck consists of 52 cards, it’s possible to encounter a situation where no cards remain before seventh street drops. To avoid running out of cards in this very rare situation, a single community card will be dealt face-up on the table. All players left in the hand will share the seventh street card.
7 Card Hi/Lo Stud Gameplay
- Ante Up: As opposed to blinds players place antes to guarantee the pot. The amount of the ante or “bring-in” is determined by the limit you choose.
- The Dealing of Hole Cards - Each player receives 2 cards dealt face down.
- Dealing of Third Street - A third card is then dealt face-up to each player. The betting order is determined by the player with the lowest ranking card shown face up. Once the initial bet is placed which must be equal to the minimum table stake, other players can choose to fold, call or raise.
- Dealing of Fourth Street -A fourth card is dealt to each individual player face up.
- Second Round of Betting -The player starting the second round of betting is determined by the player who has the highest ranking exposed cards.
- Dealing of Fifth Street - A fifth card is dealt to each individual player face up.
- Third Round of Betting -This round of betting proceeds as the previous round only now the high limit is mandatory. For instance in a $20/$40 limit game $40 bets are the minimum for this round of betting.
- Dealing of Sixth Street - A sixth card is dealt to each individual player face up.
- Fourth Betting Round -Betting round continues as the 2 previous rounds of betting.
- Dealing of the River - The seventh and final card is now dealt to each player face down.
- The Final Round of Betting - Final round of betting continues as the 3 previous rounds.
- Showdown - Players showdown their cards to determine the winner of the hand. The player showing their cards first is the last player in the hand to have made a bet or raise.
- Awarding of the Pot- The pot is divided in two and is awarded to the player (s) holding the best 5 card high hand, and the best 5 card low hand. Should two players have hands of equal value (the best high hand, the best low hand), the pot is divided between them. If the same player has a combination of cards that qualify as both the best high hand and the best low hand, the entire pot is awarded to the holder of that hand.