Mac Jones now favored for NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year
By Bob Garcia
Today is a huge day in the NFL as teams need to get down to the 53-man roster limit by 4pm ET. And while the cuts are still coming in at a fast and furious pace, the biggest news of the day has likely already happened.
Cam Newton has been released from the New England Patriots and rookie Mac Jones will be the starting quarterback. The Alabama product outplayed Newton in the preseason and is a better fit for the Patriots’ passing offense, but this was still a big shocker.
The news did not affect New England’s Super Bowl odds much (currently +2700) at the Americas Cardroom sportsbook. However, there has been a huge shakeup in the NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year odds with Jones (+300) now the favorite over No. 1 overall pick, Trevor Lawrence (+400).
Take a look at all the odds favorites below. The first four players listed are quarterbacks, but there’s also a running back (Harris), wide receiver (Chase) and tight end (Pitts) among the top eight.
NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year favorites
1. Mac Jones, New England Patriots (+300)
2. Trevor Lawrence, Jacksonville Jaguars (+400)
3. Justin Fields, Chicago Bears (+850)
4. Zach Wilson, New York Jets (+1000)
5. Najee Harris, Pittsburgh Steelers (+1000)
6. Ja’Marr Chase, Cincinnati Bengals (+1164)
7. Trey Lance, San Francisco 49ers (+1200)
8. Kyle Pitts, Atlanta Falcons (+1216)