By Bob Garcia
Throughout 2020, the entire staff of the Winning Poker Network met regularly to discuss core values and who we strive to be as a company.
From these conversations, the WPN Manifesto was created.
Trust is money on the table.
Our players trust us with their time and money, and we trust each other to do right by our players and our business. Building on that trust, we can build the world’s best online poker network.
Where does trust come from?
Trust comes from the rules of the game.
• For our players and for our team, playing fair means that we are all playing by the same rules.
• We honor the agreements we make with each other, and the agreements we make with our players–even when doing so comes at a cost to us.
• Remember that playing fair means that there are winners and losers. If we try to make everybody happy, then we aren’t playing fair.
• Ask yourself: What is the correct decision according to the rules? And if the answer isn’t clear, ask yourself: How do we make the rules clearer?
Trust comes from communicating openly and candidly.
• For our players and for our team, building trust means sharing our questions and perspectives, even if they are uncomfortable or unpopular.
• If something seems wrong, we call it out and do everything in our power to make it right. If something seems unclear, we call it out and do everything in our power to make it clear.
• Remember that mistakes are inevitable–but learning from those mistakes is our choice and our responsibility.
• Ask yourself: If our players could hear everything we’re saying and doing behind the scenes, would they trust us more or less?
Trust comes from caring about the same things.
• We treat our players and our team the way we ourselves want to be treated.
• We care about our players, and we care about what they care about. Our success hinges on their success.
• Remember that conflicts and disagreements are often symptoms of misaligned goals. If you find yourself at odds with somebody, find out what goals and outcomes they are working towards.
• Ask yourself: Are you taking the time to truly understand the goals and motivations of our team and our players?