Pokémon Masters scores big its first week
The Pokémon game hits it out of the park as soon as it’s released
Nintendo has had a number of huge video game successes and the Pokémon series ranks up there toward the top of the list. In its latest example of successful video game domination, Nintendo just released Pokémon Masters and the game, while not quite as successful as Pokémon Go, still managed to find huge support. In just the first week, it earned around $26 million, according to Sensor Tower, which isn’t bad for a game that doesn’t cost anything to play.
Pokémon Masters is now available in over 60 countries, the second-best distribution for any of the game’s franchise. It outperformed other popular titles, such as Pokémon Quest, which only earned $3 million its first week, Pokémon Magikarp Jump ($1 million) and Pokémon Rumble Rush ($300,000). Still, the amount was less than half of the $56 million Pokémon Go earned in its first seven days, a number made even more impressive by the fact that Pokémon Go initially only launched in five countries – the US, the UK, Australia, German and New Zealand.
Most of the revenue came out of Japan, where Nintendo is headquartered. The country accounted for 62% of the sales – $16 million – followed by 17%, or $4.5 million, in the US. France, Taiwan and Hong Kong took the next three spots to give Nintendo a significant revenue boost.
While the game is free to play, there are purchases available through microtransactions in Pokémon Masters, just like there are in a number of video games. The purchases can be used for add-ons and to power up teams in an effort to gain an edge over the competition.
It appears that Apple fans like Pokémon the most. iOS devices were behind 72% of the game’s revenue, with Android taking the remaining 28%.