Binion’s to receive major upgrades
The Las Vegas icon will emerge bigger, better than ever
Anyone who knows poker is familiar with the name Binion’s. The casino was the original home of the WSOP and has been a regular fixture of the Downtown Las Vegas landscape since it was opened by Jack Binion in 1951. Now, the casino is undergoing a major upgrade that will see it take on a whole new life.
The casino, and its Apache Hotel, were purchased in 2008 by TLC Casino Enterprises. A year later, the hotel closed, but Binion’s has lived on ever since. TLC has decided to upgrade the property, adding a new full-service saloon and upgraded items such as flat-screen TVs and USB charging ports. However, the casino’s GM, Tim Lager, adds that it will retain its old-school charm, including lace curtains, stained-glass windows and hardwood floors.
The new saloon will be the Whiskey Licker Up Saloon and will be located above the casino’s original Whiskey Licker Bar. It offers a huge rotating bar with “drinks, dining, dancing, live entertainment, and even a mechanical bull.”
The Apache Hotel is also undergoing a facelift and will return as the Hotel Apache. It will be a boutique hotel with 81 rooms that feature “vintage-style furnishings reminiscent of the original Hotel Apache.” The original hotel opened its doors in 1932, making it one of the first hotels in Las Vegas.
Downtown Las Vegas is undergoing a major renovation project. Several hotels are being added, and others are being refurbished. Most notably, the Downtown Grand Hotel & Casino is expected to open its third hotel tower within a year and the Circa Resort & Casino, a property being built by Derek and Greg Stevens, will offer 44 stories with 777 hotel rooms, a sportsbook and a two-level casino.