Fortnite Up Against League of Legends for Esports Game of the Year

The list of finalists for the 2018 Esports Awards was released on Thursday and it includes some controversial competitions. Fortnite is up against League of Legends for the esports game of the year. Fortnite is also nominated for Breakthrough Game of the Year.

The third annual Esports Awards will be held on November 12. As in past years, fans hold 25 percent of the decisive power through an online polling platform that is live now on the Esports Awards official website. The other 75 percent of voting power is held by industry experts appointed to the EIA panel.

The EIA will hold two rounds of voting, the first of which is live now. The categories for this year's awards include:

Breakthrough Game of the Year
Partner of the Year
Coverage Website of the Year
Game of the Year
Hardware Provider of the Year
Journalist of the Year
Publisher of the Year
Supporting Agency of the Year
Videographer of the Year
Streamer of the Year
Streaming Platform of the Year

The categories most likely to rouse debate among gamers are Game of the Year and Breakout Game of the Year, followed by Hardware Provider of the Year, Publisher of the Year, and Streamer of the Year.

As the only game that is a finalist for two categories, Fortnite stands a good chance of walking away with at least one award. However, the game's inclusion among finalists for Esports Game of the Year is a controversial one, considering the title has barely dipped its toes in the competitive scene.

Don't Miss these Video Games Stories
  • JOIN NOW
    Join the most trusted US poker site since 2001 and get a 100% bonus on your first deposit, up tp $1,000!
  • STAY UP TO DATE
    Stay up to date on the latest poker news through social media. Join us at Facebook/americascardroomnet and follow us @ACR_POKER on Twitter. We invite you to share ideas and reactions.