How to Tackle the Online Super Series III
By Bob Garcia
Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in /var/www/wordpress/americascardroom.eu/wp-content/themes/americascardroom/single.php on line 33
With Americas Cardroom (ACR) preparing to launch its third rendition of its flagship poker tournament series, the Online Super Series (OSS) III, it’s a good time to start making your plans as the best way to go about planning how you’re going to approach playing the series.
For a lot of people, and particularly recreational online players, they simply add a few tournaments to their regular tournament series and are done with it. This is all fine and well if you don’t play very much and aren’t concerned about the results, but even for the recreational player it can be beneficial to have a game plan when such a series presents itself.
The OSS III is compiled of over $900k in guaranteed prize pools spread across 63 events from March 28th to April 6th. These tournaments are added over and above the regular Big 10 and Turbo 10 tournaments that run daily. This is one action packed week of tournaments so it’s important to take into account bankroll management when devising a way to get the most bang for your buck.
The last thing you want to see happen is you overextend yourself in the first few days and leave yourself short to play some of the events that you want to play further into the series.
Here are a few quick and easy tips you can follow in order to get the most out of the OSS III.
- Take inventory of the events-ACR has made it easy to plan your schedule by posting all OSS III events in the tournament lobby months before the series begins. By clicking on Tourney>Guaranteed>All in the poker client you’ll see all 63 events posted. By double clicking on the selected tournament you’ll be directed to the tournament lobby which displays all pertinent information such as buy-in, date, time, game type and guaranteed prize pool.
- Hit the satellites-ACR allows you to be better prepared ahead of time by posting satellites to the events in the satellite section of the lobby. ACR began running these qualifiers for months ahead of the events allowing you the opportunity to capitalize early and secure your seats for a fraction of the cost.
- OSS III Main Events Passports-ACR runs passport online poker tournament satellites which get you into all of the Main Events and big buy in tournaments for the series valued at $2,250 for just a $50 investment. Winning one of these packages can yield huge returns on a nominal investment compared to what you have to gain.
- Plan your schedule and stick to it-if you’re on a limited bankroll, play the designated satellites you want to play and stick with it. There’s nothing worse than busting early in a tournament series. Decide how many tables or tournaments you can play optimally in a day, pre-register for all of them and then stick to the plan. Your bankroll will thank you if you know your limits and play fresh every day.
- Don’t overextend yourself on re-entries-While the re-entry option can be of great value to you if you get eliminated early from a tournament, it can also be very detrimental to your bankroll should you not use it wisely. Decide up to what level you’re going to re-enter should you get knocked out and stick with it. Try to limit yourself to one re-entry maximum per tournament. The more you re-enter the higher you’ll have to finish in order to be profitable. We all know how hard it is to win a poker tournament; don’t bury yourself before you even get started.
- Plan for the Main Event-The Main Events to the Online Super Series are always bigger than average. The OSS III will be one of the biggest with a $200+15 entry 200k GTD whopper. This is one event you want to try and play no matter what. Satellites to the event will run daily as it approaches so try and factor at least a couple of these into your satellite schedule. If the whole tournament series doesn’t go your way, it’s exciting to know you have your spot secured to make some life changing money.
- Brush up on your tournament game-There are a lot of players who prefer to play cash games over tournaments but will buy-in to many of the OSS III events because of their tremendous value. If you fall into this category, it may be a good time to brush up on your tournament game before the series starts by playing some smaller buy-in tournament while you grind at the cash tables beforehand.
These are some of the steps you should take to maximize your gains throughout the series. Poker, like everything, yields better results with preparation. Make sure you’ve done everything you can to make the OSS III one of your best online poker tournament series ever.